Thursday, January 15, 2009

Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. weekend!!

I was talking to my sister tonight and she tells me she's convinced that mothers get a free ticket to heaven for all the crap we have to endure. She had to give the family hermit crab a proper funeral today. If you knew my sister you would be laughing your a-- off right now. She even had to write a goodbye note and say a prayer at the grave site. If her kids hadn't been home little Hermie would have been out with tomorrow's trash. But...since they were home and she loves them more than anything in this world and that's the kind of mother she is....there she was standing over the grave of a hermit crab trying to comfort her crying kids. We did have a damn good laugh at the story while her kids weren't around. Love her!

I, on the other hand, sat through yet another pinewood derby this evening. I think there is only one derby Charles had, I mean, got to attend. He was in Birmingham tonight having ribs with his dad. That sounds hard huh? I won't lie, I get resentful. It seems like moms get the poo poo end of the stick most of the time. I know, I know, kids are great and that one marvelous moment is worth it all! I get it. I've never been able to go out of town and have fun. Wait a minute, I was able to go when he got home from Iraq but he didn't have to stay with kids. Now I'm not going to say I have never left town without kids because I have. It's just that when I have gone out of town it's always for a crisis or to help a friend who has just had a baby or something else that isn't fun. He, on the other hand, has been out of town quite a few times in our marriage. It's ok though. Oh and when I have gone out of town, the laundry is done, house is clean and menus are written out and groceries are bought. There was one time when I went to help a friend drive from Denver to Ogden and crisis struck while I was away. Even though my kids were in pain, I did have a smile in my heart when I heard about all the commotion going on in the Woods' house while the B.N.W. was away. Here's what happened......I was somewhere in Colorado maybe...can't remember. Charles calls and tells me Charlie's testicles are hurting and I asked a few questions and we determined maybe he hurt it while he was riding his bike or doing some boy thing. A little while later he calls and tells me Josh's left cheek is swollen like mad. I asked a few questions and got off the phone. He called later in my trip and told me Charlie could barely walk because of the pain in his nuts and Josh's cheek had gotten even bigger. He was in the emergency room that night until 2 or 3 a.m. Now, I'm in Ogden by this time calling Southwest airlines to see how much a ticket would be to get the heck back home immediately. I had to scream at the lady in the ER but in the end everything turned out ok. Charlie had eppiditimitus in his balls and they were pretty sure Josh had an absessed tooth. Both kids were put on antibiotics and healed nicely. I didn't have to come home early and Charles got to experience my life for a moment! He did tell me that he thought he was going to be able to relax a lot more than he did while I was gone. Ladies, let me break this to you now.....MEN WILL NEVER KNOW! It's ok though, cuz I'm pretty sure too that we get a free ticket on the other side. I am totally convinced there is something we can't even dream about that is waiting for us up there.

Vegas....here come the Tucker sisters! We WILL have our day.....some time in June! Until then we'll clean, cook, help kids with homework, run everyone around, do laundry, solve fights, attend pinewood derbies, bury family pets and feel silly doing it, make sure everyone is dressed warm enough...maybe! And be crazy daily. I love being a woman...seriously... I do.

1 comment:

Elder Quinn Kay Longhurst said...

You are such a strong woman! I have taken for granted having my husband with me 24/7. I don't know how you do it all. You are my hero! I found this video that I believe ALL men should watch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym8u94MitRc Check it out! It's a little goofy!