Sunday, December 7, 2008

Life.....

is interesting. We have had a busy, wonderful weekend! Charles came home Friday night and we got to meet him at the gate, kind of! We got our pass to head back to the gate he was coming out of but his plane landed early and we had to undress to get through security. He called me as we were going through the security gates and told me he had just landed. I had to hurry off the phone so I could get the kids dressed and we booked it to the gate. We were sprinting when we
ran into him. We had almost made it to the gate though!

We arrived home earlier than expected too and our sweet Budge friends had invited all the neighbors over for a get together at 11 p.m. They had some fire pits going and doughnuts and hot chocolate. It was a lot of fun.

The scouts from Trisha's parents' ward came and filled our cul-de-sac with 85 flags and it was an amazing sight.

We also put a welcome home message up on the Kirt's marquee sign.

We had a ward breakfast on Saturday and then we headed to Charlie and Ryan's choir concert at Lee's and then off to the Forgotten Carols with the Budge's. Trisha also got us tickets for that play! Here's a picture of us with Michael Mclean (the playwrite and lead character) and his wife.

Trish, what else can you do for me? Anyway, it was a great time. We had a great weekend. We get to send the kids off to school tomorrow and have time to ourselves! Charles hasn't been around since ALL of our kids have been in school.

It's interesting how life goes. We have to endure the poop to enjoy the chocolate. We need trials to help us better appreciate how great life can be. Now that Charles is home I have reflected on the things I have endured while he was away. It feels so good to have him home and all those trials seem so far away. Our problems are always temporary and there is usually a good ending. I am thankful for my life and all the opportunities I've been given. I'm especially grateful for all the things I've learned in my life. I'm even thankful for my trials and afflictions. These are what have taught me the most. I love my life!

Charlie got ordained today and passed the sacrement for the first time. It was crazy seeing him do that. Charles passed with him and it was a nice sight. I can't believe I'm old enough to have a child that's old enough to be a deacon. But....Charles will always be older. He turns 33 tomorrow but he doesn't care that he's getting older. He always tells me he likes getting older since he gets better looking every day! Love him! He does get better looking every day though.

We leave for California on Thursday. Charles has a good friend that's getting married in Sacramento and he planned a family vacation for us since we would be there anyway. It feels good to be able to go away and enjoy myself doing something I didn't have to plan. He still has to figure out what to do with our dog! :)

So...off to another great week!

2 comments:

Trisha said...

Yes, Ashley...anything you need. It was a pleasure helping out with all of that stuff and Matt and I were glad we got to have the Forgotten Carols experience with you guys. It was a super fun night.

Now, I am not even joking when I say this...we wouldn't mind helping with Dixie. Wait, hey Charles, since you are in charge of this whole thing I wanted to let you know we can help with the dog while you are gone! Let us know!

You are a great friend Ashley. Very honored to have gotten to know you so well. I've learned a lot from you--but still haven't picked up the cussing :)

Elder Quinn Kay Longhurst said...

I have to tell you, seeing Charlie pass the sacrament was a cool sight. What was even cooler was watching your hubby beaming from ear to ear as he watched Charlie pass the sacrament. I'm so glad you have been reunited with your best friend and that it is for good now. You have an amazing family and I'm so glad I get to call you my friend!