Friday, March 27, 2009

Easter....Be done!

As I sit here and type, desiring to be thin, I'm trying to muster up the oomph to go and do that 8 mile bike loop. I just returned home from helping out the 2nd graders. Today I didn't have to listen to them read. Instead I had to trace shapes for them to cut out. I like a tasking that has a nice end result. I like to see the result. Take mowing the lawn for instance, you see instant results when you mow the grass. Charles used to feel so bad when I would mow the lawn but I tell him I would rather do that than to put up with fighting kids. When one mows the lawn you don't have to deal with anyone and you instantly see improvement. It was nice to only cut shapes today and not listen to the monotone reading of a bunch of 7 and 8 year olds. Plus I got done 35 minutes ahead of schedule. On my birthday, which is April 1, I get to go with the kindergartners to the zoo! What a day that will be. I get to ride a bus with 3 kindergarten classes 60 miles to and fro. That's gonna be a great way to celebrate turning 32!

Ok, I love my boys a lot. I'm glad there are things they are interested in and I like to watch them excel. But scouts is a doosy. I have 4 boys, it's never going to end. I will get a small break in cub scouts when Ryan turns 11 in just a week or 2. Josh won't start cubs until August. I mean it's just that they are in scouts for so long. They start at 8 and don't finish until they get become an Eagle scout and they can take forever. Some kids are18 years old before they do what needs to be done. We had a pack meeting last night and I thought I was going to die trying to get through that thing. First of all, men try really hard and they do so many good things.....BUT.....I'm sorry.....women are just better at organizing things. The games the poor guy chose took forever. It was blazing hot in the room the meeting was held in and boys that age are just downright corny. To the point I want to slap them for their silliness. I have to say, my kids act like complete heathens at home and drive me nuts constantly, but they have been taught how to act in public and they do a fine job at this. I was thankful that Ryan was behaving himself and saw just how well he does outside of our home.

You know, I never thought I would feel like this, but.....I would love to get a job. I have been a mom for a while now and all of my kids are in school full time. I volunteer 3 days a week at the school and exercise most days. I cook, clean, walk the dog, and do whatever errands need to be done. Right now, I'm figuring out birthday gifts to get for the 2 kids I have getting ready to celebrate birthdays. I do various things throughout the week, things that would probably be harder and more of a pain in the butt if I did work outside the home. There is a job that has been advertised in the paper for the last few weeks and I know I would probably do well at it but there is something inside of me that tells me not to. As mundane as motherhood can be at times, I would feel so guilty to miss out on the smallest things in my kids' lives. Charlie comes home daily and talks to me about his day at school. Cody comes home and likes to read his cut out books he gets from kindergarten. Josh gets excited to tell me about all the hands-on awesome things he gets to do in class and Ryan tells me about kids that bug him. They eat their snacks and drive me nuts with their messes. Charlie has incredible math homework that I thank the good Lord each day Charles is home to help him with it. If he was gone, I would just have to hire a tutor. If I was the one in charge of that crap he would for sure flunk 6th grade math. I am seriously glad I get to be home for all of it. Even as a person that loves to see instant results, I'll wait for these results for years to come. Hopefully, they turn out well. If they don't, well....at least I can say I tried. So no paying job for now. Damn it!

At least my kids are handsome. I don't know if I could stay home with ugly kids!

3 comments:

Matt and Jade said...

Good looking people, all flock to other good looking people. Those boys better love their good genes. Matt asked me the other night about me working after I have a baby. I said, of course not. I can't wait to stop working. So you can come back to Utah and take my job and I'll watch the boys. Come on, it'll be fun.

Trisha said...

I still think you should get paid a little for ALL of that 'volunteer' work you do!!

Bryan & Bobbie said...

You sound more and more like my mom. It must be all the boys. My mom worked as long as I can remember. But, I was the fifth. She still works and actually has gone back to school and got a teaching degree. For the first couple of us, I know, she stayed home, but that bug got to her and she has been working on her own will since.