Monday, February 2, 2009

LiFe

I've been thinking a lot lately about the life I have had for the last 14 years. Charles and I married soon after I graduated high school. We met and started dating my 11th grade year. He was a mighty fine looking senior. He wore those giant, preppy glasses and had that hair with the long bangs and the short sides and back. Remember that? He did have a nice pair of gams though! Anyway, back to the story.....we moved to Arizona in August of '95 and have been on our own ever since. We've never lived off of anyone and have always supported ourselves. It's never been an option for us to live with parents and have them support us. I am so grateful for this because I know that is why we have such a close relationship today. We had to struggle together and we've learned life's lessons together. We've grown up together. Dang, I love him. Anyway, all of my siblings and Charles' siblings have done it on their own as well. He has sisters that are single parents and struggle as well as my own sister. My sister has a fabulous ability to dig herself out of a bad situation every time she falls into one. Not many people have this. Lately I seem to read about how many young married couples live with their parents. It's like they don't want that struggle so they would rather live with their parents and let them foot the bill instead of going out and struggling together. They miss out on wonderful learning opportunities. I think parents that allow a married couple to come and live with them are doing their grown children a huge injustice. I am much more impressed with someone who has had to struggle and live off of spam and grape kool-aid. What is so impressive about Mommy and Daddy paying for school and giving you and your spouse a place to live? I'm all about saving money but definitely not at someone else's expense. I mean, don't get me wrong, I know bad situations arise in life and family may need to step in and help out but don't glom on and let someone support you forever or until you feel like you're in a great financial situation. Struggle together, it builds character. I love resiliency in a person. It's much more impressive that being a boomerrang adult. I feel happier for someone when they have achieved something big on their own and without the help of mom and dad. Maybe I'm envious that I haven't had someone to step in to rescue us but probably not. I wouldn't trade the great relationship I've have with my husband for all the money in the world. Like I said before, I know we have that bond because of what we've endured on our own with the Lord's help only! Just some thoughts I've been thinkin' :)

Lately I have been enjoying cooking and baking, as I have stated in previous posts. I'm not so sure why I am enjoying this. Normally cooking is so dreadful and I have never really thoroughly enjoyed baking. But for some reason, recently this has been very therapeutic for me. I do enjoy making things my family loves. It is enjoyable for me to watch them love what I make for them. Since we're moving we're down to the bare essentials and I have found thrill in using up food storage and seeing what delicious fare I can come up with. It's quite amazing what can be made out of hardly anything. Now one thing I need is meat. I really should try and get interested in canning. If I knew how to can meat we would have it made food storage wise. I even have a canner and all. Now I just need desire! But we'll see how that comes once Cody gets into all day kindergarten and I have lots of extra time on my hands. I'm a hands on learner so Charles will need to figure out the canner and then show me how.

Well folks I'm a little tired of living in limbo. I feel like I've done this now for about 15 months. I am so ready to be settled and live my own real life again. Now many of you may have no idea what that feels like cuz you're not a nomad waiting for the next assignment. Dadgum! But indeed I am grateful for ALL of my experiences. The good and the crappy, it makes me who I am!

1 comment:

Trisha said...

You posted early tonight. Maybe you could instil that energy of cooking you have into me :)