Friday, June 12, 2009

A week of events....

Charles' last day of leave was Monday so we went out with a bang! Actually we just spent the day in or near the water. We took the kids swimming and later in the evening we went fishing! We have a nice, smaller lake out the west gate. Of course if we were in the south it would be considered a pond but that's neither here nor there! Well, I think we have found something Charles knows nothing about. He was super cute though trying to figure everything out. Josh was wanting to stay home and play video games but his dad would hear nothing of that. We loaded up and drove out there and discovered only 1 of the 5 poles, we brought with us, was in working order. Charles' friend, Keith, the one that invited us, had an extra so all te kids had to take turns. Josh and Cody ended up digging fishing the most since they caught the most fish. Cody was the actual winner, as he ended up catching and throwing back 4 of the smallest fish you can imagine. He didn't care how much it weighed though, HE caught them!

I believe Wednesday would take the cake for the highlight of the week. Our house had not been deep cleaned since just before my sister's visit. After a trip to the pool we came home to get our working gloves on. I was scrubbing the kitchen down when Charlie took it upon himself to clean the dog's food and water bowls out. I thought this was a kind gesture since none of the kids do anything super sweet for Dixie. He gets the bowls sparkling clean and refills the water bowl and walks over to the cabinet where all of Dixie's belongings are and grabs her bag off food to put fresh food in her bowl. Awwww! Charlie digs his hand deep in the bag when he feels something fuzzy brush up against his hand! He squeals like a school girl which gets me screaming asking what the heck it is. I was praying it was going to be a spider or some kind of six-legged thing. Hell no, it wasn't anything with six legs. It was more like 16 legs in there. Four, yes 4, MICE were in the damn dog food bag. HOLY @#%*! I was going crazy. He throws the bag down and is freaking out! I'm screaming for him to get the dadgum bag out of the house. I have chills as I type, thinking about it! He calms down, grabs the bag and takes it out. Now all of the kids are interested and looking in the bag. I'm still screaming at this point, telling them to take the bag to the big, outside trash can and not to stand there and let all the mice out of the bag so they can re-enter the house. Cody looks at me through the sliding glass door with his hands cupped around his eyes and says " No, Mom , we're keeping 'em!" I had to laugh at this point because if he was any cuter it would be dangerous. There was still 20 minutes before Charles was to leave from work. I call him up and told him he must come home early. He sits on the phone and wanted to debate with me when I promptly reminded him of going into work 2 hours late that same day! He agreed to come home and analyze the problem. He checked everything out and went to Wal*Mart and bought everything you can think of to kill mice. He woke up the next morning to find 3 more dead mice. So that's 7 mice in a 24 hour period! Holy crap I think I need a sedative. We loaded more traps and haven't seen any action since. I'm hoping and praying we have fixed the problem and can patch up the holes where they were coming in.

This morning we were awakened to Jehovah's Witnesses wanting to share a message. That was fun! Charlie got stuck opening the door and let them know his mom was asleep. It was 9:30 :- Whoopsie! It is summer though.

Charles and I celebrate 14 years of marriage on Sunday! We were discussing this last night and reminiscing of our life together. I recalled the tiny, roach infested military house we first lived in on the very base we are stationed at today. We then realized how far we've come after 14 years, 4 kids, a few cars and several states later to the big, mice infested house we now live in! We've had a good life! Charles has gotten better looking everyday, huh Babe?

2 comments:

Karan said...

OK , so I really wanted to be your best friend but I cant come to you house now..we just have roaches at our house not mice . Ill have to think about it. Morgan made the watches , she is going to be making some more we just have to go to Tucson to get some of the stuff since we dont have a craft store here.She wanted to make them to earn money for camp . But that is taken care of so I guess she is trying to sell hem .

Anonymous said...

Oh the house doesnt look better...you had it so cute to begin with! The material on the canvas.. I just hung them on the wall, alone. But I have a funky chair that goes below it and a table with a retro lamp, so.. I need to take a picture of it all together so you get the feel.. The old rocker found a new home though.. its in my bedroom now. My friend came over tonight and pretty much re-did the whole look of the frontroom.. so I will repost pics of it soon! I love this house so much Ashley. I am so thankful for you guys. I just need that husband so I can stay here FOREVER. I would be so beyond happy if it all works out...because obviously you winning the million in Vegas, did not. Thanks for your comments!! I miss you and your family at church.. its just not the same.