Monday, April 6, 2009

You decide....

If there is one good thing I can say about myself, it's that I have good people skills. I can pretty much get along with anybody, as long as you aren't too big of an a-hole. I have come to learn that this is a God-given gift. Not everyone was given people skills. As a matter of fact my husband has a few in his family that have no tact whatsoever. But....lucky for him, he has married someone that has a decent personality and a wonderful ability to make people feel comfortable. Now this isn't to say that people don't bug. Believe me, there are some out there that I would appreciate better stuffed! There is a point to my story. I recently had an impression to check out the ACS office on post to see what opportunities are available. So today was the day I decided to go in and check it out. Now, mind you, I was looking into VOLUNTEER opportunities. So, I walk in and ask the old fart standing behind the counter what was available. He handed me the paperwork and asked me what I can do. I told him I can do anything and that I was willing to learn new things. He tells me that "anything" was too broad for him. He was turning into one of those that bug me. I walked off to fill out the paperwork and he walks over to me and disturbs me once again. He asks me what I was interested in and what I wanted to do. I told him I wasn't really sure. He didn't like this answer and flew his arms up in the air and was just an all out asshole. I couldn't believe the way he was treating me. I told him he needed to calm down. I also said I was coming in to find out what was available. I mean my dream job would be the taste tester for Ben & Jerry or working for the travel channel but I knew those jobs wouldn't be available there. I told him I for sure didn't want to be shoveling horse crap but I can do most other things. Once I let him know he wasn't going to able to treat me like that he toned his butthole-ness down a notch. He said he was frustrated since I wasn't giving him the answers he needed to find out what I could do. I told him I was the mother of 4 boys and I can pretty much do anything that needed to be done.

Here's what I have a hard time understanding.....most people say that motherhood is the noblest of jobs but when all you have on a resume is "mother" people treat you like crap. The rest of the world doesn't see all that motherhood entails. I mean I have lots of skills. Just because I haven't gotten paid for my skills doesn't mean I don't possess them. After I talked to Sam, the jerk, he went and got the volunteer coordinator and she more than made up for Sam's lack of tact. She was very friendly and asked if I could work in the office and do things right there for the ACS office. I told her I could and she asked if I could start tomorrow. Sometimes moms just need a little validation. To all the Sam's out there, well....they can kiss it where the sun doesn't shine. I have come to a point in my life where my kids don't need me as often as they used to. They're in school all day and I have free time. I still want to be home in the afternoons so they can irritate me to death so a job is pretty much out of the question. Seriously, who's going to hire someone that won't work before 8:30 of after 3 and wants all weekends and holidays off? I just don't have a ton of options that fit my life. I guess I could be a teacher but to tell you the truth, my own kids bug me, why would I want to be around other people's kids all day? So for now I do what fulfills me and I can go from there. I need to figure out what my interests are. I don't want to start something that I'm not sure I'll like. I need to figure some things out. I'll get there.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

well you inspire me.. you really do. I love your blogs. I love how strong of a woman you are and what a great relationship you have with your hubby, the way you guys interact (just the little that I was around it) is so priceless! You will make a great volunteer or whatever it is you decide to do.. because you are a PERFECT mom! And Same is a major Butthole..he is a man.

Trisha said...

I just read this to Matt. We both giggled at "butthole-ness"

We are just under-appreciated, but just so you know, you are very much appreciated as a friend.

Bryan & Bobbie said...

Well spoken, I couldn't agree with you more.