Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Here I go.....

Well folks....I have been put on a strict budget. Charles has cracked down with our finances and he gave me a certain amount to spend on groceries and other things. It's all for my own good though. When he returned home from Iraq I gladly handed over the finances to him. It was way too stressful for me since Charles always had these ideas about how things needed to be done. Anyway, I found it rather challenging to stick to this budget. In a good way! I meticulously planned our meals for the next 2 1/2 weeks and went shopping today. Now... I did have to go to 2 different stores to get the very best deal on everything. That was a little bit of a pain but at least I didn't have any children in tow :) After all was said and done, I had $20 left and felt great knowing I had conquered! Now I just need to know how these people come home with $500 worth of groceries and only spend like $7. Someone please fill me in on this. Our local newspaper has worthless coupons. Of course I don't purchase packaged products so this type of thing may not work for me. I spent more than $7 but felt like I did great feeding a family with 4 boys for less than $250 for 2 1/2 weeks! That price also included household items that weren't food related. I'm good!

Well our chicks have outgrown the brooder we were using and we had to graduate them to the coop. Think of the money I'll save when they start giving us eggs! Another way to save money....I'm going green. Do you know all the uses for baking soda? Check it out online, just google baking soda uses. I already checked it out and stocked up on that stuff today.

No matter what kind of budget I'm on now, I'm still going to Vegas in June!

4 comments:

Matt and Jade said...

I love coupons. I don't buy a lot of processed food, either. Smith gives out coupons for fresh food and veggies. Those ads that come out on Wednesdays helps me, find good deals. I have a notebook that I keep track of where the good deals are. So I know when not to pay more then I need to. Good Luck with the new budget.

Elder Quinn Kay Longhurst said...

Good for you! Norm keeps threatening me that he's going to put me on a budget but then I remind him that he spends more money than I do and he'll have to go on too! I'm one of those crazy people doing the coupon thing. If your really serious about it you need to go to www.pincingyourpennies.com It's a great way to start and if you need any advise let me know. I bought cereal for 33 cents a box and got 30 packages of toilet paper for $2.97 It's addicting and can take over your life! I'm just warning you.

Robin Fisher said...

Coupons from the commissary. I love that they have coupons out on products.
Also, there are a few stores around here that price match from the competitors coupons. That saves me from running to store to store.

ericka said...

i am dying to know how in the world you can buy cereal for 33 cents and that much tissue for less than 3 bucks!! please elaborate!!