Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Fat Bottom Girls Make the Rockin' World Go 'Round

Well, what a fun filled summer it was! Believe it or not I was not ready for my kids to start school last Wednesday. Mostly because we had returned from a 2 week vacation the day before it started. I had to get the new school clothes washed, groceries purchased and school supplies bought. Not to mention pick up the schedules and meet the new teachers. All of this after driving across the country for 26 hours. We've made the trip from Arizona to Alabama many times but it seemed much easier this time since we don't have babies. It was still miserable to be in the car for such a long period. The state of Texas takes days to drive through, Louisiana has some of the worst, bumpy highways of any state I have ever driven through, Mississippi has more gospel radio stations than one state needs. I assume that's because that state is largely populated with black people. You know you're entering southern country when the blacks out number the Mexicans. Where have all the white people gone? My goodness! I'm starting to wonder if I have racist tendencies....nah!

We did have a great summer! We went to the pool, played basketball and had as much fun as you can possibly have in a town as crappy as Sierra Vista! Our vacation back to the south was, of course, the highlight of summer 2010. We saw all of our family, well the ones we wanted to see anyway, went to an amazing science center filled with screaming, stinky kids, spent a week at the beach and even saw my almost 90 year old grandmother. The kids weren't so hip on sitting in her tiny nursing home room and having my dad go nuts at every little move they made! Of course the alarm that kept going off wasn't helping matters either. Not a good thing to hear when you're sitting on the bed of a 90 year old woman!

Since my grandmother moved into a nursing home her things needed to be divvied up among family. My dad's brother got anything that might be of some value and we were able to pick through the rest! We were able to walk away with things that were valuable to us and probably even valuable to the rest of the population! I got lots of old pictures and even a rolling pin that my great grand-father carved with a pocket knife sometime in the 1800's. I also retrieved all of my grand-mother's old wigs! Weird, I know, but my kids have sure had a blast with those things! I couldn't resist when I saw the box sitting there in that hot, Alabama storage unit! I remember those things from when I was a little girl. Well, not those actual wigs. They seem to have lightened up as the years have gone by BUT she still had them on the same styrofoam heads I remembered from years ago! Charles was a little creeped out that we got the wigs. He wouldn't even open the box when we got home. He sure did enjoy seeing me in one of those things and quickly decided we needed to keep them.

I'm so glad we got to see the family that we desired to see. I am glad that my kids were able to be a part of a bigger family for a couple of weeks. It broadened the picture on eternal families for me and made me realize how grateful I am to have such great people in our families!

5 comments:

ericka said...

It was a wonderful time for us too! I am so thankful our kids have grown up together even though we have always lived so far apart. I can't tell you how much you and your family mean to me...and you forgot mention the water park and the lady with the bee...LOL!!

Charity said...

We loved visiting with ya'll! I can't wait til ya'll live closer!

Trisha said...

What the crap! This post just barely popped up as a new post on my list and it was posted over a month ago. Oh well, I still thoroughly enjoyed readinig it, as always :) Sure love you guys and miss the heck out of ya. Do you realize we get to see each other in like 11 days?? YEAH!

Jim said...

Hey Nice blog. :)

http://weather-site.blogspot.com/

sleepinl8 said...

glad to hear about your beautiful summer! hope this one turns out great as well! WOW! 26 hours of driving??? my family is THE road trip family, and our record is 15 consecutive hours! Well, damn, God bless ya! Please check out my blog here if you get a chance: http://sleepinl8.blogspot.com
Thanks! will follow.